This post is a part of a series of posts for preparation for the VCAP6-CMA Deploy exam. For the full exam prep resources check here.
- Deploy and configure a supported Highly Available SSO Solution.
- Deploy and configure a supported Highly Available vRA Appliance solution (HOWTO).
- Deploy and configure two vRealize Automation IaaS Web Servers (HOWTO)
- Deploy and configure two vRealize Automation IaaS Manager Servers (HOWTO)
- Deploy one or more Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machines (SPEC) to use as DEM Worker Servers.
- Configure the vRealize Automation IaaS DEM Prerequisites.
- Download the IaaS Installer from the vRealize Automation Virtual Appliance.
- Install the VMware vRealize Automation DEM Worker(s).
- Confirm the DEM Worker is registered.
Step by Step Instructions
Configure the vRealize Automation IaaS DEM Prerequisites.
I have covered the install of IaaS Server prerequisites in a previous post called HOWTO: Install the VMware vRealize Automation 6.x IaaS Prerequisites. The vRealize Automation IaaS DEM prerequisites are a subset of these, which are:
- Secondary Logon Service
- Windows PowerShell Version 2.0
Download the IaaS Installer from the vRealize Automation Virtual Appliance.
Install the Primary VMware vRealize Automation Manager Service.
Log into the server as the vRealize Automation Service account.
Locate the IaaS Installer (firstname.lastname@example.org) and right-click and select Run as Administrator.
If prompted by a User Account Control dialog, click Yes.
Check the I accept the terms in the license agreement checkbox and click Next.
Enter the root credentials (Username and Password) of the vRealize Automation Appliance (where you downloaded this IaaS installer from) and check the Accept Certificate checkbox.
Select the Custom Install option, then select the Distributed Execution Manager option.
If required/desired click Change to change the Root Install Location and click Next.
Assuming all prerequisites have been met, click Next.
Enter the Password for the vRealize Automation Service Account (the User name should be automatically populated as it should be the currently logged on user).
Select Worker from the DEM role dropdown, enter the name of the DEM into the DEM name text box, (optionally) enter a DEM description, enter the FQDN of the VMware vRealize Automation Manager Service VIP into the Manager Service Host text box and click Test.
Confirm the FQDN in the Model Manager Web Service Host text box is correct and then click Test.
Note: You can add as many DEM Workers as you like to a server, i believe the current recommendation is between 2-3. You can start with a single DEM worker instance and scale up the number of DEM Workers before you scaleout the number of DEM Worker Servers.
Confirm the DEM Worker is registered.
Navigate to the VMware vRealize Automation Portal and then log in as a user with the Infrastructure Administrator role.
Navigate to Infrastructure > Monitoring > Distributed Execution Status to show which DEMs are registered and Active.