Migrating thecloudxpert.net to Hugo and AWS!
Published on 14 October 2019 by Christopher Lewis. Words: 368. Reading Time: 2 mins.
Goodbye Wordpress and Hello! Hugo
I have been using Wordpress ever since I started my blog in 2016 and whilst it was a great platform to start blogging with, after 3 years I wanted something more from my blog.
Reasons for Change
My reasons for changing my blog was:
- Speed - The blog was incredibly slow to load and was not giving the sort of performance I wanted.
- Offline Blogging - I always found Wordpress easy to use but I disliked the new interface and found it difficult to be able to write blogs offline.
- Cost - I was using a wordpress hosting company and that was costing me a reasonable amount of money. I’m hoping Hugo and AWS will reduce my annual bill!
- Learning Opportunity - Changing my blog to be written in Hugo and markdown gives me a reason to go back to my university roots where I was writing a web pages in HTML but also learn a new platform like Hugo!
- Learning Git - Having written the blog in Hugo and markdown, I’m storing my work in Github and this is giving me a real reason to get to know how to use Git!
What is next?
I am still ironing out a few kinks in the blog. I have a list of things I still need to sort out and this will take some time but I’m workign on it! These items includes:
- Better Pagination.
- Making the site mobile device friendly.
- Better blog release process - I may have to reach out to Cody De Arkland for some advice on this!
- Adding a Blog Search facility.
- Consolidate Blogging Categories!
When inspired to do something by the contributions of other #vCommunity members, I always feel it is worth acknowledging it. Thanks again guys!
Been working with my blog to move it to static pages with Hugo. Big shout outs go to @Codydearkland, @sammcgeown and @h0bbel for the articles (amongst others) that have helped tremendously in this undertaking! Finally getting my head around it! #vExpert— Christopher Lewis (@thecloudxpert) September 1, 2019
What do you think?
Please reach out to me via twitter to let me know what you think of the new look!