HOWTO: Deploy VMware vRealize Automation 6.x IaaS DEM Worker (Distributed Install)
VMware vRealize Automation VCAP6 VCAP6-CMA
Published on 27 January 2017 by Christopher Lewis. Words: 573. Reading Time: 3 mins.
This post is a part of a series of posts for preparation for the VCAP6-CMA Deploy exam. For the full exam prep resources check here.
- Deploy one or more Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machines (SPEC) to use as DEM Worker Servers.
- Deploy and configure a supported Highly Available SSO Solution.
- Deploy and configure a supported Highly Available vRA Appliance solution (HOWTO.
- Deploy and configure two vRealize Automation IaaS Web Servers (HOWTO
- Deploy and configure two vRealize Automation IaaS Manager Servers (HOWTO)
- Create DNS A and PTR Records for:
- vRealize Automation IaaS Manager VIP
- vRealize Automation IaaS Manager Server 1 (assumed as part of AD joi
- vRealize Automation IaaS Manager Server 2 (assumed as part of AD join)
- Create a Subject Alternative Name Certificate containing the following FQDNs:
- vRealize Automation IaaS Manager VIP
- vRealize Automation IaaS Manager Server 1
- vRealize Automation IaaS Manager Server 2
- Deploy one or more Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machines (PDF) to use as DEM Worker Servers.
- Configure the vRealize Automation IaaS DEM Prerequisites.
- Download the IaaS Installer from the vRealize Automation Virtual Appliance.
- Install the VMware vRealize Automation DEM Worker(s).
- Confirm the DEM Worker is registered.
Step by Step Instructions
Configure the vRealize Automation IaaS DEM Prerequisites.
I have covered the install of IaaS Server prerequisites in a previous post called HOWTO: Install the VMware vRealize Automation 6.x IaaS Prerequisites. The vRealize Automation IaaS DEM prerequisites are a subset of these, which are:
- Secondary Logon Service
- Windows PowerShell Version 2.0
Download the IaaS Installer from the vRealize Automation Virtual Appliance.
Install the Primary VMware vRealize Automation Manager Service.
Log into the server as the vRealize Automation Service account.
Locate the IaaS Installer (
firstname.lastname@example.org) and right-click and select Run as Administrator.
If prompted by a User Account Control dialog, click Yes.
Check the I accept the terms in the license agreement checkbox and click Next.
Enter the root credentials (Username and Password) of the vRealize Automation Appliance (where you downloaded this IaaS installer from) and check the Accept Certificate checkbox.
Select the Custom Install option, then select the Distributed Execution Manager option.
If required/desired click Change to change the Root Install Location and click Next.
Assuming all prerequisites have been met, click Next.
Enter the Password for the vRealize Automation Service Account (the User name should be automatically populated as it should be the currently logged on user).
Select Worker from the DEM role dropdown, enter the name of the DEM into the DEM name text box, (optionally) enter a DEM description, enter the FQDN of the VMware vRealize Automation Manager Service VIP into the Manager Service Host text box and click Test.
Confirm the FQDN in the Model Manager Web Service Host text box is correct and then click Test.
Note: You can add as many DEM Workers as you like to a server, i believe the current recommendation is between 2-3. You can start with a single DEM worker instance and scale up the number of DEM Workers before you scaleout the number of DEM Worker Servers.
Confirm the DEM Worker is registered.
Navigate to the VMware vRealize Automation Portal and then log in as a user with the Infrastructure Administrator role.
Navigate to Infrastructure > Monitoring > Distributed Execution Status to show which DEMs are registered and Active.
- HOWTO: Deploy VMware vRealize Automation 6.x IaaS Manager Servers (Distributed Install) ()
- HOWTO: Deploy VMware vRealize Automation 6.x IaaS Web Servers (Distributed Install) ()
- HOWTO: Deploy VMware vRealize Automation 6.x IaaS Database (Distributed Install) ()
- VCAP6-CMA Deploy - Objective 1.2: Deploy and Manage vRA Appliances and IaaS Servers in a Distributed Configuration ()
- HOWTO: Obtain the vRealize Automation 6.x IaaS Installer Package ()