First Impressions - UKVMUG 2016 - vCurry
2016 UKVMUG VMUG VMware
Published on 16 November 2016 by Christopher Lewis. Words: 412. Reading Time: 2 mins.
I’m just back in from attending my first @UKVMUG #vCurry evening.
I have to say I had a #awesome evening in the tres cool surroundings of the National Motorbike Museum in Birmingham. (cue obligatory screen shots of motorbikes below)
It was good to catch up with people i hadn’t seen in a while in the community and even make new acquaintances over rather nice curry with all the trimmings. The only very slight downside for me is I don’t like lamb, so I had to opt for the vegetarian option (which was better than I expected). I, of course, made up for this by having two helpings of the desert (chocolate brownie… with custard - don’t ask).
After everybody was fed and watered, the Quiz Master (Chris Dearden handed out the picture round… Name the VMware Acquisitions… Here is a few of them, how many would you have got after (more than) a couple of beverages??
What then followed was 3 additional rounds (Sport, Food & Drink, and (I think) General Knowledge) covering the most random, but cleverly constructed questions about VMware and VMware products I have ever witnessed, including (and these were the ones that I could remember):-
- Subtract the number of Gold medals won by Yorkshire in the Rio Olympic Games from the maximum number of ESXi hosts in a vSphere cluster (v6.0).
- Subtract the number of Gold Medals won by Usain Bolt from the number of VMDKs within the vSphere 6.5 VCSA deployment?
- Which is higher, the total number of hours watched on Netflix (in 2015) or the amount Dell borrowed to purchase EMC (and VMware)?
- A Long Island Ice Tea is made up of 5 white spirits (tequila, vodka, light rum, triple sec and gin), but can you name 5 of the services running in the vSphere 6.x VCSA?
(Note: At this point I did highlight the fact that, subject to popular belief ‘up north’, Yorkshire isn’t actually a country… so the correct answer to 1 was actually 64 not 52…)
After four rounds, it seems the team I was in (#oneteam) had answered the most questions correctly (a measly 22⁄40) followed by the team made up of past and present VMUG leaders (after discounting the VMware team). So that was a nice bonus to end the evening!
All in all a good experience and I’m glad I made the effort to come the night before to my first #vCurry. I’m looking forward to my first #UKVMUG tomorrow!
- What is the (VMUG) Advantage of UK VMUG 2016? ()
- HOWTO: Deploy a vSphere 6.5 External Platform Services Controller (VCSA) ()
- Installing the vRealize Automation IaaS Management Agent ()
- Replacing the Package Signing Certificate in vRO 7 ()
- Replacing the Control Center Certificate on an embedded vRO instance ()